This is an outline of the K1 visa or Fiancee visa requirements. It's a good reference page - best on the Internet.
This process can be accomplished in steps for your convenience, financial burden and security. More here.
Note: Nothing on this web site is intended to help you get a visa for your K1 Fiance. It's to help you see what the overall process involves. The devil is in the details! That's what our service is for.
The K1 visa is a one way, one time, 90 day, non-immigrant, non-extendable visa, issued to a foreigner for the sole purpose of marrying a U.S. It is NOT issued for the purpose of getting to know someone better. After arrival with the K1 visa, your foreign honey and you must marry with 90 days, else return.
1) You must have met your K1 fiancé in person within the last two years
and have unquestionable documented proof
of meeting in person within that time.
You both must be free to marry and be able to prove it. We show you how.
You both must be able to prove you know each other well enough to commit a life long marriage marriage and be able to prove it.
4) You, the K1 visa petitioner, must be a US Citizen.
Your foreign honey is the K1 visa applicant and beneficiary of the Fiancee visa.
5) There's a financial sponsorship requirement for the K1 fiancee visa
so your honey doesn't become a "public charge." Your honey must be sponsored by you, the petitioner. I personally find this financial requirement revolting and unconstitutional as it is neither supported by law (except in adjustment of status after arrival in the U.S.), nor do illegal aliens that are given amnesty require it.
See affidavits of support
After the marriage on a K1 visa, your spouse must apply for a adjustment / change of status to obtain permanent resident status. This is done in the U.S., and is not a fun procedure. The assistance with this is included in our Full Fiance Visa Service without extra charge. I believe we are the only firm that does this.
To marry outside the US instead of using a K1 visa, see about the requirements and benefits at K3 visa or Spouse visa.
If you're dreaming of bringing your honey here without a fiancee visa, on a visitor or tourist vise to meet her, then visit our Visitor/Tourist visa page.
A separate visa petition does not have to be filed for a child who's unmarried and under the age of 21 at the time of visa issuance. After arrival in the U.S. on a derivative base K2 visa, the child must process through the adjustment of status just as the child's parent.
1) It's the easiest visa to get (less hassle), and about 6 weeks faster than a K3 Spouse visa because less time is spent getting authenticated documents together for marriage and petitioning. No time is wasted generating qualification documents and applying for a marriage permit (license).
2) Unmarried child(ren) under 21 can be included on the same petition as a K2 derivative of the foreign parent but do NOT have to have an approved Relative visa petition, as with the K3 visa. On a K3 visa, a child cannot apply for permanent residency if over 18, but can do so with a K2 (derived from parent's K1) visa, providing the child is under 21 and still unmarried. This can be a major advantage in some cases.
1) After arrival in the U.S., you MUST marry within 90 days, else your honey becomes an illegal alien because the Fiancee Visa expires on the 90th day after arrival. It cannot be renewed, only re-filed from scratch after your honey's return home and have waited the 24 month "wait period" created by the IMBRA law. See the legal restriction.
2) Soon after marriage, your honey must file for an adjustment / change of Status (COS) to get a CR-1 visa for permanent residence. The K1 visa is a non-immigrant visa. The adjustment of status process can take from 3 to 8 months and your new spouse may only leave and return to the U.S. with special permission which can take months to get. This is a reentry permit. Without it, he/she may not reenter the U.S. Failing to do this, means you have to start the petition all over BUT now that you're married, it would require our Combination Spouse service that includes both the required Alien Relative visa petition and K3 visa petition.
3) The K1 Fiancee visa divorce rate is 32% over an averaged 10 year period, while the K3 visa is only 12% over the same period of time. However, arrival on a K3 visa allows up to 2 years before having to file for a adjustment of Status. Your spouse may return home and reenter the U.S.A. on the K3 visa alone - for up to 2 years. This visa is also extendable while the K1 visa is not.
NOTE: There are still many good, valid reasons for going with the K1 fiancee visa. But it would be wise to really investigate both.
See "Courting" for details which apply to both types of visas. This is extremely important advice!
Back to top of page